Saturday, April 25, 2009

Facebook and Twitter... Reaching Your Audience

Today just about everyone is writing about Facebook and Twitter. I have to tell you... I'm a skeptic. It's not that I don't think that both are great for communicating, but just like Myspace, are they really all they're cracked up to be from a marketing perspective?

I recently spoke to a customer who said, "I love facebook... I spend about $5,000/month and pay only $0.50 per click." When I asked him how many sales he had generated, his answer was, "I don't know." Even though it was a single conversation, I have a feeling that many marketers who think that Facebook and Twitter are such good ways to promote themselves have little or no data to confirm their success. Or, as the example above shows, think success equals traffic.

To be successful with your online marketing, you need to find new sources of traffic - this is true. However, you must focus on the return of your investment. Are you advertising on Facebook? Using Twitter to build a list of followers? If you are, than ask yourself, is the return I'm getting greater than my investment in time and/or money?

My personal perspective, as I learn more about Facebook and Twitter is that it's great for sharing information about you, your products, and or services. However, if you want to sell directly, you'll be greatly disappointed.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment