Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pay-Per-Click Marketing: Is It For You?

Most marketers I talk to often tell me that they are losing money with Pay Per Click marketing. I too have had mixed results with PPC. The question I found myself asking was, "who is using PPC and making money?" In my experience, it takes a lot of research to win at PPC, but win you can.

When I started with pay per click advertising, I struggled a great deal. Either I got tons of traffic and no sales or little traffic and no sales. Over time, with the proper tracking, I learned which bidding strategies improved my quality score and click through rates. Once I was driving traffic, the key was to improve conversions.

Improving conversions is not an easy task. Again, the only time I started seeing success was once I began testing - much like I did for years with my direct marketing efforts. The testing was time consuming and tedious. I would only change one element at a time and let it run for 2 -3 weeks before I could draw a conclusion.

The good news however is that once you make these distinctions: choosing the right keywords, finding your top performing ads, and optimizing your landing pages, you're basically on auto-pilot. So if you're struggling with PPC, just hand in there. I recommend that you break down the task of PPC marketing into small steps and attempt to make progress one stage at a time.

Best of luck with your PPC. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged simply stay the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment